birmingham.io

Considering giving VS Code another try…

I happened to come across Microsoft Terminal the other day. The technical preview is rather slick: tabs, a decent default font (ligature and emoji support!) Run cmd.exe, PowerShell or Ubuntu from one place! Not to mention the addition of CRT mode for those of us who remember getting a tan from our monitor!

I’m now considering giving VS Code another go: it’s been over a year since I last tried it. Git seems to be built in, the plugin ecosystem is much richer and doesn’t leave me guessing about software updates (those of us using Sublime Text are used to complete radio silence for six months—or more—at a time).
I doubt VS Code will match the performance of Sublime, but it’s certainly looking a lot more rounded and supported.

Anyone else out there using VS Code?

Been using VSCode for about 3 years now, mostly for NodeJS dev. I find it better than IntelliJ for my use. As you said the plugin ecosystem is richer than back in the day and makes it easier. I find VSCode is lighter (memory management is much better) then other IDEs.

1 Like

I’ve given it some light use today, but I’ll need a few hours spare to properly set it up.

First impressions:

• yes it’s a bit more memory hungry than Sublime, but it doesn’t feel sluggish on a modern machine
  • it auto-suggested a plugin for .env highlighting so that’s a time saver to not have to hunt the plugin
  • Git support built in which worked out of the box when connecting to GitHub (even does 2FA).
    • Who knows, I might be able to ditch my GitKraken license if things like Git Lens for VS Code work as well as they look. GitKraken is currently holding 350MB of RAM on a rather small repository right now.
  • A decent console built in: cmd.exe, Powershell etc with split windows possible.
  • Clever stuff like checking your .gitignore file and filtering out the contents for file finding. That saves having to manually configure project files.
  • It looks quite modern and fresh! I realise how old-fashioned Sublime Text looks in comparison.

I’d always keep Sublime Text around for that occasional 1GB SQL file that I need to do a search and replace on, but I think it’s time for a switch for daily usage!

This made me wonder what happened to Atom which was talked about a lot a couple of years ago. I’d forgotten Microsoft bought GitHub which owned Atom. I also found this:

Stack Overflow’s annual Developer Survey 2019
Development Environments and Tools

Most Popular Development Environments
Web Developers:

Visual Studio Code - 55.6%
Visual Studio - 32.5%
Notepad++ - 30.4%
IntelliJ - 27.3%
Vim - 25.9%
Sublime Text - 24.0%
Android Studio - 15.1%
Eclipse - 14.2%
Atom - 12.7%

My new question is “What happened to emacs?”. I guess Clojure devs are neither typical nor statistically significant :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those stats are very interesting, I’d love it if they asked if people had switched in the last year to see some kind of “developer migration” between IDEs. A few thoughts on that list…

• VS Code - perhaps what education is recommending, it seems to have lots of momentum. Plugins appear to be Typescript-based, that might be helping.
  • Notepad++ - I stopped using it at least 7 years ago! How is it hanging on without all the cool stuff???
  • IntelliJ - :man_shrugging: a friend at university used it, but that was 2004! Must be the No. 1 for Java.
  • Vim - I imagine the people who have managed to switch to Vim will never be able to switch back due to hard habits (and being super-productive based on YouTube videos I’ve seen - I’ve never had the guts to make the transition). There’s a Vim plugin for VS Code with ~1,400,000 installs. So people might be “vim’ing”(?) in VS Code
  • Sublime Text - see above, sure to drop this year.
  • Atom - it has probably improved performance since last I used it, but I never really saw it has having everything I needed.

Since my previous post I think I’ve got everything Just Right™ in the IDE, including SSH remote file access! :grinning: Example screenshot showing some of the code intelligence (something that ST cannot compete with). Full list of plugins (and settings) can be found in my backed up settings: https://gist.github.com/gregrobson/0ad6673bb525fe0fca3a9acc5f4afc93#file-extensions-json
Fira Code as the typeface, because it’s nice and includes font ligatures. :wink:

Proudly sponsored by Bytemark