Conference for student hackathon organizers

(Chi Nguyen) #1

Hi All - I’m with Major League Hacking and we’re trying to bring together people to our annual conference Hackcon EU (https://hackcon.mlh.io/events/europe/) to talk about hackathons and how to empower more organizers and attendees and ultimately more technologists. Shoot us an email if you are interested to attend at hackcon@mlh.io. We have a few discount codes left.

(Daniel Hollands) #2

Hi, welcome to the community.

I’m not sure who the best people to talk with are currently, but once upon a time I’m sure it would have been @poppie and @TauOmicronMu - although even if it’s not them now, I’m sure they’ll know who it is.

(Andy Wootton) #3

@Chi_Nguyen Hi, I’m curious if student hackathons are very different to any other hackathon. Could you widen the appeal of your conference by opening it up to a wider audience? I’ve only witnessed two student hackathons, one from the sidelines, so I may be missing an obvious difference.

(Chi Nguyen) #4

@LimeBlast Ah yes we know @poppie and @TauOmicronMu! @Woo actually this conference would be great for non-students as well to get an understanding of what makes student hackathons different from non-student hackathons. From my personal perspective, student hackathons encourage an environment that is more about learning/sharing new skills/technologies rather than a full on competition. We currently are only able to sponsor student hackathons but are continuing to look for ways to empower more technologists in general. Next weekend will be a gathering of thought leaders around how to grow the hacker movement and organize better hackathons. If you are interested, definitely come check it out. I believe we are down to our last few tickets though so make sure to register soon!

(Andy Wootton) #5

I think hackathons are a different thing to competitive hacking. I’ve only recently discovered that competitions exist, via Quora and I think they seem at best to be tangential to the hacker ethic. I see hacking as a collaborative rather than competitive culture, avoiding duplication of effort by self-organisation, though possibly with optional bragging rights, as reputation is the marketable commodity after the unpaid work. FOSS seems to operate mostly on the principle of anarchic meritocracy, with a smattering of tribalism & guru-worship.

(Marc Cooper) #6

It’s all here. Not much has changed.

(Andy Wootton) #7

I bought that for my Dad in the 80s. I don’t think he ever read it. To be fair, neither have I. I might have it in the shed.

I worked on a VAX that had replaced a Data General Eclipse (“Collapse”) they were trying to improve on in that book. I’ve always remembered the note left by the guy who runs away to somewhere where the smallest unit of time is the season. I was convinced he’d be disappointed.