Can anyone tell me about pow?

(Daniel Hollands) #1

Continuing the discussion from Friday Links on Friday’s:

I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience using Pow? It looks like a good system, but I’m thinking it might be a bit overkill for someone with only one or two rails projects - unless someone here can tell me why I’m wrong?

(Dave Adlakha-Russell) #2

It’s fine for just two projects, it’s pretty lightweight and easy to use.

It’s just for local dev though (a pretty common misconception).

(Daniel Hollands) #3

I figured it was just for local dev, which would suit me fine. I may try it out.

(Andy Henson) #4

I used it for a while; it was pretty good but it used to fall over quite a bit. I presume it’s better now but we moved to using vagrant so I don’t have much need for it any more.

(Daniel Hollands) #5

I installed this today, and I have to say I’m pretty impressed. I’m just reading thought the documentation, and it looks like they’ve thought of everything.

(Daniel Hollands) #6

Having actually used pow last night, I’m happy to report that it worked like a dream. I’m glad that I spend some time reading the docs, as I needed to restart the server a few times (installing new gems, etc…), and now I’m a pro at running touch tmp/restart.txt.

Today however, I’m back at work, and alas am using Ubuntu - so now more pow. Thankfully I’ve found Prax, which will hopefully do the same thing. I’m about to install it now, I’ll let you know how I get on with it,

UPDATE

That was pretty much an immediate fail. There appear to be some issues with Ubuntu 14.04, and I don’t have the time (nor knowledge) to fix it, so I’ll maybe try again in the future.