Currently we lack a place to follow the community of tech bloggers in Birmingham (at least I’m not aware of a place). I think the advantages of doing this would be to:
- encourage writers to write more, due to having access to a larger audience
- increase community feel in Birmingham tech scene
- show others from outside the region what is going on here (which may have it’s own benefits)
- Software: Planet Venus looks the most likely at this point https://github.com/rubys/venus/
- Hosting: I could host this on my Digital Ocean VPS or we could use the one talk.birmingham.io uses if that’s ok with @LimeBlast
- Templating/Style: I’m guessing we’d need some sort of design unless there is a default template that we could use
We’d need to get an initial list of technical blogs that would be on the site. I’m thinking the ones we’d include would be either (or both):
- Companies based in Birmingham or near by
- Individuals who participate in the Birmingham tech scene i.e. go to events in Birmingham
We could use a public google doc or spreadsheet or just post here to get a list local blogs. It would be good if we have enough that there is a least a post every couple of days on average, so people will come back to site
Also, I think we’d want to post everything to a twitter account (e.g. using twitterfeed or dlvr.it) - because most people don’t use a RSS reader, I’m assuming.
Getting the word out
The @multipack, @hydrahack & @Silicon_canal twitter accounts would be good places to get the word out, plus our own personal twitter accounts.
Any thoughts? Feedback? ideas?