Animating a 💀 using a Unicorn

(Daniel Hollands) #1

First off, check out this vine:

Cool huh? :sunglasses:

Well, I think it’s cool :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a Raspberry Pi 2 with an attached UnicornHAT inside a Ninja Pibow case (with a ninja diffuser layer, to avoid going blind looking at bright LEDS).

That’s all fairly standard… the important bit, for me at least, is that thanks to gadgetoid over on the Pimoroni forums, it’s all being controlled by Ruby.

The sprites for the skull (which I’ve named Murray) is by PAC-MAN-RED over at Atari Age. He has built up quite a collection of them, which I plan on taking full advantage of - just as soon as I figure out what to do with them.

In any case, right now I’m just playing with the idea of animation - something which I’ve never done before - with the ultimate aim of having Murray act as a virtual assistant - a sort of Clippy, if you will, who will animate and react according to inputs… Or something, we’ll see.

Here’s my code as it stands right now - I’d welcome feedback:

Twinkle twinkle little LED
(Daniel Hollands) #2

I have some more bits to show off - first, a couple of vines:

This is meant to be a shadow-like cat running in the twilight - but I showed it to a few people and they could not identify it, so…

I made it into a ginger tabby, and they instantly recognised it.

Here’s my code (again, feedback welcome)

(Marc Cooper) #3

Murray: I am a powerful demonic force! I am the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I stride through the gates of hell carrying your head on a pike!
Guybrush Threepwood: Stride?
Murray: All right then, roll! Roll through the gates of hell. Must you take the fun out of everything?
Guybrush Threepwood: You’re about as fearsome as a doorstop.
Murray: Is it a really evil-looking doorstop?