Alternatives to

(Jack Wearden) #21

That was roughly where I was going with, combining in the work I did with :slight_smile:

(Etewiah) #22

I guess to focus on the tech community you would want to have some features that are specifically useful to that community.
Thinking of that, having the ruby/rails question list turned out to be pretty useful for the last Ruby user group meetup. I guess having a forum like this tightly coupled to an event management solution would be interesting.

I don’t think eventbrite caters particularly well to the tech community.

(Daniel Hollands) #23

I think this is the key to it. Understand who your audience is and cater to their specific needs. If the idea is to build something specifically for the tech scene meetup (or clique) scene - that is, a group of people that meet on a regular basis to participate in tech-related thing - they might want some of the following:

• Better long term communication tools (it’s because of’s crappy comments system that I set-up this forum)
  • Project management tools
  • Pair programming system (i.e. someone flagging themselves as being available for pair programming)
  • Login via GitHub
  • Ideas bank (somewhere that people can submit ideas for talks, etc…)
  • Scheduling system
  • Built in support for Periscope

(Jude Gibbons) #24

You could tag meetups with keywords so you could see at a glance if a meeting was, for example, purely social, or networking, or a tech talk, involved food, was at an alcohol-free venue, etc.

(Peter Oliver) #25

Does anyone know where is up to, since the Kickstarter?

(Daniel Hollands) #26

I’d not even heard of There are a few updates posted (the most recent one in March), but they’re all for backers only. No idea what’s going on with it.

(Andy Wootton) #27

I used to use upcoming years ago. I think it got killed by Facebook events, Google Calendar, Apple WHATEVER back when they used to work properly.

[Mounts soap-box]

Isn’t this the old problem that we commit to a product rather than to a protocol? We are then at the mercy of wherever the only service provider takes us, usually ‘for a ride’ once they are the market leader. This problem is as old as computers not build from valves by a scientist and someone with a screwdriver.

If you want to build any service that lasts then create a service and publish all your key protocols as open standards so that others can compete fairly with you. It will reduce your slice of the cake but the cake will be bigger. You won’t be able to be a git to your customers and they like that. Look at what has survived. IBM mainframes and SNA? No, free Unix (OS X, OIS, Android & Linux) and TCP/IP. Has anyone become super-rich out of Unix and IP? No. Only gits become super-rich. :smile:

Surely we can identify and abstract the key interfaces needed to build distributed social tools, calendars and authorisation systems by now. Then you just have to build the best component blob that does that thing.
[Gets tied up for 10 years in standards bodies which move at glacial speeds. All standards need to be extensible.]

(Peter Oliver) #28

I think what killed it was getting bought-out by Yahoo!, but this only serves to prove your point.

(Stuart Langridge) #29

It got unboughtout, though, didn’t it? I thought Andy Baio had convinced Yahoo to give him it back so he could do it again…

(Andy Wootton) #30

Apparently he’s trying

(Andy Wootton) #31

So one place for tech, one for my music, another for art, cinema etc? That’s fine for the events (if we pretend it’s that clear where the boundaries are) but I then want one place that collates everything (and competitors for backup), so you need all of them to follow standards and be networked.

As soon as I’d written the above, this came up on my Twitter

(Alicia L) #32

I believe that a ton of organizers are leaving meetup since its acquisition by WeWork.

Meetup organizers are upset and are going to be frantically looking for alternatives. One really good one for the recreational sports communities is OpenSports. The only issue is they haven’t launched in every city yet, but it seems like anyone from any city can migrate their sports group there, to better manage and communicate with players.

A lot of people seem to use opensports daily/weekly to create and find pickup games are incredibly satisfied with OpenSports’ new Groups features which is totally free!

(Andy Wootton) #33

What is the Use Case for Meetup?

Some user-stories I can think of:

As a user, I want to find out about interesting groups that are relevant to my interests or things that might become interests, so that I network with other people and we all exchange knowledge.

As a user, I want to be notified at appropriate times that a meeting is coming up so I can decide how to spend my time.

As an event organiser, I want to advertise an event I plan to organise and assess interest so I can match the venue and number of likely attendees.

As an event organiser, I want to know how many people will actually turn up so that I can arrange facilities without waste (may require ‘trust ratings’ on people’s show/no show record.)

As a user, I want to be able to choose how I am contacted and can access the information.

As an event organiser I may wish to sell tickets so that I can cover costs or make a profit (and may be willing to pay commission to the ticket seller.)

As a commercial event organiser, I need to market my event to a broad range of people who might become customers, so that I can be sure of making a good profit rather than a bad loss on the even.

As a user, I want all costs to be included in the advertised ticket price or additional, optional costs to be made clear up-front.

Please add your own.

(Peter Oliver) #34

I notice that Facebook have started asking me how many people actually turned up to my events, and how I counted. It’s not clear what they intend to do with this information.

(Peter Oliver) #35

For any particular reason?

(Andy Wootton) #36

“Don’t tell them, Pike!”

(Jon) #37

I expect it is because Alicia would like folks to look at OpenSports, which is promoted by, erm, Alicia in this blog post. To be fair, I am sympathetic to people working for a tech start-up - the big question is how do you break into a market when there are big existing players? A number of us on this board will struggle with this problem at some time or another.

However, I also believe in transparency, so I’d politely suggest that if anyone is promoting something, they disclose any conflicts of interest, so that the conversations we have are honest and authentic.

(Andy Wootton) #38

Then, to give some feed-back: why call it “Sports” then try to promote it for other uses? That’s confusing. I think the name is wrong, rather than the attempt to broaden the product’s scope. I would want one place to go for everything or, better, an interface to one place I could display my events but if I have one place for my sports and another for music, where do I put a trip from the sports club to see some music?

This is an example of the tribal intertwingling I’ve referred to before. I’m trying to solve it but I haven’t yet and some believe it’s unsolvable.

(Corey Snipes) #39

Hi, Birmingham friends. I am writing from Colorado to offer up another alternative platform for your review. It’s a lightweight, inexpensive alternative to, and it’s called Meeting Star.

I am the creator, and am happy to answer questions. Feedback is greatly appreciated (especially the bad stuff).

Key features include “login-free” RSVPs, clean and simple group and event pages, and the ability for organizers to email group members and event attendees. The visuals are pretty bare-bones at this point, as I wanted to get the basic functions out into the sunlight. There will be a visual overhaul shortly, I promise!

I really appreciate you taking the time to outline your user stories, @Woo. Not everything you list is supported. I am intentionally avoiding two big areas: 1) ticket sales, and 2) “groups you may like”. I am considering ticketing as a future feature, but I think the group discovery piece is best left to the big players with a huge audience. I do make things SEO- and social-sharing-friendly but I assume groups will promote through existing channels. If you want to see a group’s public page, there’s a sample here.

(Daniel Hollands) #40

Hey @corey, welcome to the community.

I’ve just signed up to kick the tyres, and wanted to offer a very quick piece of feedback.

I got the email confirmation message and clicked on the link, after which I was shown a “Session Expired. Please click here to log in.” message.

Clicking on the link and signing in suggested that I had indeed confirmed my email address successfully, but the error message was a touch off putting.

That’s all for now, if I find anything else I’ll let you know.